Sunday, October 14, 2007

Too close to call

The quest for the Olympic spots continues to the last day. In both the men's and women's RSX fleets the medal race is extremely close. Too close to call. As we say the day before, anything can happen. Both Nancy Rios and Ben Barger are sitting in the number one spot going into the last day of racing. Once again, yesterday was marginal conditions. Check out this water....
Yes, as you can image I was thinking, Where is my wakeboard? The water was a mirror image. Not even a ripple, but there was 6 knots of wind. We were all waiting for the monster under the great blue sea to emerge. Get ready to pump. After 6 days of pumping, what's another? My feet are raw and my hands are not far behind. It's only a 30 minute race which sounds short until you realize that you have to pump the whole time. Today both Nancy and Ben both pumped their hearts out, earning first places in Race 1 and Race 2. I pumped my heart out too. To secure once again my position of bringing in the pack, making sure that if they ever do stop pumping someone is coming right behind them. Each and every competitor is giving it their best effort. On some you can see the toll of an 8 day Regatta which seems more more like a Marathon everyday. Whereas, others are just beginning to peak and fight even harder.

Official Race Results


The day before I earned a TLE due to taking an extra lap. The boys had to do 3 and the girls had to do 2 laps. Oops! I guess, I was just wishing I was on a 9.5 and planing instead of pumping. It was a great practice lap with strong lay lines and solid mark roundings. As I was pumping downwind the last time, my arms felt the burn as I realized all my competitors and mates where resting in the water waiting. Isn't it nice that I gave them such a long recovery period? Last night, for our final meal before one last day of racing we went to Port O'Call in Long Beach. Here is Nancy's meal for a champion....Yes, she ate it all. We had a great night with some good laughs...
As my dad found out raw oysters should not be part of his championship dinner. I would like to say thank you to all the parents, family, friends, coaches, and volunteers who have made it possible for each of us to experience our dream. Just getting here was a journey in itself and the experience is priceless. Thank you...

Denise Parris, USA 235